Social media sites have taken over our lives. It is actually hard to imagine that around 10 years ago, there was no Facebook, Twitter or Whatsapp!
Social media has definitely made us closer to others parts of the world and has a wide influence on the way we live our lives and on the society in a more general way.
The Arab Social Media Report based on a survey conducted by TNS and released part of the Arab Social Media Influencers Summit shows how people in the MENA region are using social media, what are their general perceptions when it comes to social media and describes their main social media habits and activities.
This survey was conducted via in-depth interviews and focus group discussions on a panel of 7000 social media users spread evenly across 18 Arab countries. I have compiled the most important data in the below infographic.
Here are the 9 main figures that you need to know:
– 81% of people in MENA think that social media have made it easier for people to connect with each other
– The most common online activitie is chatting since 50% of people in MENA use social media for this purpose
– The most used social media channel in MENA is Facebook with an average penetration rate of 87%. UAE has one of the highest penetration rate (90%)
– The average penetration rate of Whatsapp in MENA is 84%. Whatsapp is the most used social media channel in Lebanon with a penetration rate of 99%
– The average penetration rate of Youtube in MENA is 39%. The country with the highest penetration rate is Lebanon (75%)
– The average penetration rate for Instagram in MENA is 34%. The country with the highest penetration rate is the UAE (56%)
– The average penetration rate of Twitter in MENA is 32%. The highest penetration rate for Twitter is in KSA (53%)
– 52% of Arab people spend their time on social media in the evening.
– 82% of people in MENA access social media via their smartphones.
You can view the full report here for more information.